Senior Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Registrar > Senior Frequently Asked Questions

How do I petition for graduation?

Students who attempt 120 credit hours toward fulfilling their degree requirements may be eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. This means that the student officially registered and received a grade. An Incomplete is not considered a grade.

Only a student whose cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher, is in good academic and financial standing, and has not violated the academic integrity policy or code of conduct is eligible to petition to participate in graduation ceremonies. The Petition to March form may be submitted via etrieve.

What if I fail to submit my application by the deadline?

Failure to submit this form by the posted deadline will delay the processing of your academic record and diploma order. Students who apply late will not have their names published in the Commencement Program and may be unable to participate in graduation activities.

What if I need to make changes after I submit my diploma application?

You must submit all changes in writing to the Registrar's Office by the published deadline. Any submitted changes after the deadline will cause a serious delay in processing your diploma order. If you have a CHANGE OF GRADUATION DATE, it is imperative that you contact the Registrar's Office in order to avoid unnecessary graduation fees and academic record holds.

How will I know what courses I need to take or how many credits I need for graduation?

Contact your department chair and thoroughly review your record with them. During your appointment, your department chair will inform you of major requirements that need to be fulfilled.

  • You may find out graduation requirements by referencing the bulletin for the year that you entered.
  • Print a copy of your transcript from the Internet by going to Banner Web. If you need help, refer to the Student Web Registration Instructions.
  • The Registrar’s Office will review your graduation audit in DegreeWorks. If there is a problem or a question, they will contact you via your Spelman email.

How can I resolve discrepancies on my transcript?

You can resolve discrepancies on your transcript by contacting the Registrar’s Office prior to graduation. Retroactive changes to your academic record are not permitted after your degree has been awarded.

Are there any special fees associated with graduation?

Yes. A fee is charged to seniors who have submitted a degree application. This fee will cover the cost of your cap and gown, purchase of your hood, diploma and other expenses associated with graduation.

How can I detect possible holds on my account that could prevent me from receiving my diploma?

Verify any holds on your account via your Banner account and then contact the department that placed the hold. Holds can also be viewed in your DegreeWorks audit.

When and how will I know I have completed all the requirements and am cleared for graduation?

Once you have completed all core and credit hour requirements, confirmed completion of major requirements with your department chair, and cleared all financial holds, you may check your online transcript to see that your degree has been awarded. Your DegreeWorks audit will also designate the degree's award.

What are the GPA requirements for receiving Honors?

  • Latin Honors - Based on GPA following fall semester grades
  • Cum Laude 3.4
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.6
  • Summa Cum Laude 3.8
  • Departmental Honors - Contact your departmental chairperson

Will all graduating seniors be ranked?

No. While Spelman does not rank degree candidates, we identify the Top Ten degree candidates and rank only the Valedictorian and Salutatorian. Others in the Top Ten are listed in alphabetical order. Degree candidates must be in the process of completing all degree requirements by the end of the spring semester in order to be considered for the Top Ten.

What if I don't complete my degree requirements by August 31deadline?

You must reapply by submitting another degree application to the Registrar's Office in order to reactivate the processing of your academic record and your diploma order.

Where do I get information concerning cap and gown, invitations, pictures, and senior activities?

For information about cap and gown and invitations, please contact the Spelman Bookstore at (404) 523-8520. Please contact the Office of Student Life & Engagement for information regarding senior pictures and activities.

Whom do I contact regarding tickets to the commencement ceremony?

The number of tickets allotted to graduates is announced before Founders Day. No additional tickets will be available. The ceremony will be live-streamed at for anyone unable to attend in person.