Learning to Lead With Wisdom, Spirit and Moral Vision: Our Heritage, Our Calling
The spiritual and religious center of Spelman College, Sisters Chapel exists to undergird the intellectual, ethical, and leadership potential of Spelman students by nurturing faith, encouraging scholarship, and cultivating these young women for service.
Sisters Chapel, dedicated to the worship of God, was named for two sisters, Laura S. Rockefeller and Lucy Maria Spelman. Simplicity was the dominant characteristic of their lives and John D. Rockefeller Jr., made the following remarks about them at the building's dedication on May 19, 1927.
This beautiful chapel, used for religious services, lectures, assemblies, and centerwide convocations, ranks high with other chapels in this country and abroad for its acoustical qualities. In April 1928, the first academic procession from Rockefeller Hall to Sisters Chapel occurred, inaugurating a Founders Day tradition.
A Holthkamp organ was installed in 1968, and changes were made at that time in the stage and anterooms. In addition to interior and exterior painting done on a periodical basis, some major renovations were made in 1976 when a drainage system was installed, leaks between outer and inner walls corrected, and the interior walls replastered. The sanctuary, offices, and prayer room were newly carpeted at the same time.
As a religious and spiritual community, we seek to support the Spelman College mission in developing the intellectual, ethical and leadership potential of Spelman students through nurturing faith, encouraging scholarship, and cultivating young women for service.