Guide to Service
The Bonner Office of Community Service and Student Development strives to engage Spelman students in projects and programs created to improve the community surrounding the Spelman Campus.
The following information will assist you in having a great service experience.
First- and Second-Year Service Requirements
- First-Year Students - Minimum of six hours in the spring semester
- Second-Year Students - Minimum of eight hours each semester (fall and spring semester)
Community Service Hours Deadlines
- Make-Up hours due by midnight, April 2, 2012
- General community service hours due by midnight, April 23, 2012
Important Service Facts
- Agency/Organization must hold a 501(c) 3 tax status.
- Agency/Organization MUST be registered on Volunteer Solutions.
- If you wish to complete service hours with an agency/organization not registered on Volunteer Solutions, you MUST complete a Service Site Preapproval Form, prior to completing the service hours.
- All service must be performed OUTSIDE the Atlanta University Center gates, but within the Metro Atlanta area.
- We encourage students to serve the community within a 1.7 mile radius surrounding Spelman College. – Project Impact
- Hours reflecting less than required number of hours or are incomplete will not be approved.
Steps to Serve
- Log on to our service website at www.volunteersolutions.org/spelman.
- Register and create your service profile on www.volunteersolutions.org/spelman.
- Search for opportunities or organizations by keywords, location, and/or issue area.
- Volunteer with a preapproved organization found on our website.
- Log your service hours on our service website at www.volunteersolutions.org/spelman.