All students have questions about their ability to succeed and graduate. These concerns, as well as concerns about accommodations, can be even more pressing for students with disabilities.
The mission of the Office of Disability Services (ODS) is to create an academic, social and physically accessible environment for students with disabilities by removing obstacles to learning.
The Goals of the Office of Disability Services
- Create equal opportunities for students with disabilities to learn and participate.
- Provide educational opportunities for the Spelman community on disability issues.
- Advocate for students.
- Serve as a campus resource for students, faculty and staff.
- Encourage all students with disabilities to self-advocate, participate in leadership opportunities and develop the total self.
- Increase the visibility and awareness of Disability Services and enhance the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of its operations.
Eligibility for Services
All students with documented disabilities are eligible for services. A "person with a disability" includes any person who (1) has a physical or mental impairment, which substantially limits one or more major life activities, (2) has a record of such impairment, or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. Some examples of disabilities include:
- Blindness/visual impairments
- Deafness/hearing impairments
- Acquired brain injuries
- Attention deficit disorder
- Chronic medical disorders
- Psychological disorders
- Mobility impairments
- Learning disabilities
- Speech disorders
To receive services, you must bring current documentation of your disability from a qualified health professional to the Office of Disability Services and complete an Application for Program Eligibility.
Services include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Academic accommodations
- Accessible housing
- Interpreter services
- Reader services
- Specialized testing arrangements
- Faculty consultation
- Orientation to campus
- Note taker services
- Use of assistive devices
- Resource information & referral
Services are based on each student's individualized needs.
Application for Program Eligibility and Documentation Criteria:
Spelman College Admissions Office
Other Available Services: