Spelman Women Empowered through Professional Training (SWEPT) was launched in 2002 by the Office of Career Planning & Development to fill the gap between the extraordinary classroom training that Spelman students receive and the professional skills that the business and professional communities expect in the workplace.
To enhance Spelman College’s reputation for producing young women who are confident, competent, credible, and committed to social change.
Offered fall semester only
- Composed of five one and ½ hour workshops as well as an orientation/information session and closing/graduation ceremony
- All workshops are scheduled on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Business attire is required (black or navy skirt suit or pantsuit with white or blue blouse)
- Sophomores and Juniors
- All majors welcome
- No GPA requirement
- Complete SWEPT profile (click here)
- Interview with Selection Committee
- Submit one-page resume
- August 22 – Submit application, resume and schedule interview in the Office of Career Planning, Milligan Building, 2nd floor
- September 2 – September 12 – Interviews (Office of Career Planning)
- September 19 – Acceptance notification
- September 24 - Orientation
- October 1 – Making the Transition – From Book Bag to Briefcase
- October 8 – Millenials in the Workplace
- October 15 – Money Matters – How to Manage Your Fiduciary Responsibility
- October 29 – Cross-Functional Teams and Projects
- November 5 – Becoming a Corporate and Organizational Ambassador
- November 12 (Closing/Graduation ceremony)
Participation in the SWEPT program is selective and is limited to 50 students.
The Office of Career Planning is looking for individuals who demonstrate commitment to their personal and professional path through participation in organizations, internships and other activities.