Alumnae & Friends Global Experience: March 5-14, 2013
Join us for a memorable trip to Rio de Janeiro, Bahia, Belo Horizonte, and Ouro Preto.
For more information, download the brochure/application.
Registration Deadline: Jan. 7, 2013
The Spelman College Office of Alumnae Affairs in collaboration with The Spelman College Museum of Fine Art is proud to announce an exclusive trip to Brazil from March 5-14, 2013. The tour will be led by Javier Escudero, Ph.D., director of Brazil Cultural Travel; and Erica Lorraine Williams, Ph.D., assistant professor of sociology and anthropology at Spelman, will participate as a faculty leader.
What to Expect:
- ENJOY an extensive tour of Inhotim Cultural Institute, the internationally regarded contemporary art complex in Belo Horizonte that was established by mining magnate Bernar do Paz.
- EXPLORE the Baroque architecture of the colonial town of Ouro Preto, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- VISIT Rio de Janeiro, one of South America's most scintillating cities.
- JOURNEY to Salvador de Bahia, a UNESCO World cultural monument, known as "The Soul of Brazil."
- $3,795 double accommodations
- $4,770 single accommodations
- $1,207 Sample airfare from Atlanta or Miami
The Spelman College Faculty Leader:
Spelman is committed to providing meaningful experiences for alumnae and various friends of the College that enhance global exchange.
Erica Lorraine Williams, Ph.D., an assistant professor of sociology and anthropology, will participate as a faculty leader. She earned her Ph.D and M.A. in cultural and social anthropology from Stanford University, and her B.A. in anthropology and Africana studies from New York University. Dr. Williams has conducted extensive research in Brazil on the cultural and sexual politics of the transnational tourism industry in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
She is also co-director of a five-week summer study abroad program for Spelman students in Salvador. Dr. Williams’ love for both teaching and travel and her extensive research in Brazil promise to enhance your educational experience and make this trip intellectually rewarding.