Senior Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: How do I petition for graduation?
At the beginning of your senior year, you will begin by completing an application for degree form and submitting it to the Registrar's Office, Packard Hall Rm. 107, by the first week following early spring registration.
2. Q: What if I fail to submit my application by the deadline?
Failure to submit this form by the posted deadline will delay processing of your academic record and diploma order. Students who apply late will not have their name published in the Commencement Program and may not be able to request additional tickets.
3. Q: What if I need to make changes after I submit my diploma application?
You must, submit all changes in writing to the Registrar's Office by the published deadline. Any submitted changes after the deadline will cause a serious delay in processing your diploma order. If you have a CHANGE OF GRADUATION DATE, it is imperative that you contact the Registrar's Office in order to avoid unnecessary graduation fees and academic record holds.
4. Q: How will I know what courses I need to take or how many credits I need for graduation?
- Contact your major adviser and thoroughly review your record with him/her. During your appointment, your major adviser will inform you of major requirements that need to be fulfilled.
- You may find out graduation requirements by referencing the bulletin for the year that you entered, or go to www.spelman.edu under the Registrar's link.
- Print a copy of your transcript from the Internet by going to Banner Web. If you need help, refer to the Student Web Registration Instructions.
- Sign up for a SENIOR APPOINTMENT on the SENIOR BULLETIN BOARD. You are assigned a degree auditor by major. During your appointment, your degree auditor will review your record with you and inform you of the core and divisional requirements as well as the number of credit hours that need to be fulfilled. A separate appointment must be made with your Major adviser to review major requirements.
5. Q: How can I resolve discrepancies on my transcript?
You can resolve discrepancies on your transcript during your senior appointment with your degree auditor in the Registrar's Office.
6. Q: Are there any special fees associated with graduation?
Yes. A fee is charged to seniors who have submitted a degree application. This fee will cover the rental of your cap and gown, and the purchase of your hood, diploma and other expenses associated with graduation.
7. Q: How can I detect possible holds on my account that could prevent me from receiving my diploma?
Verify any holds on your account at www.spelman.edu, and then contact the department that placed the hold.
8. Q: When and how will I know that I have completed all of the requirements and am cleared for graduation?
Once you've completed all requirements, confirmed completion of requirements with your adviser(s), and cleared all financial holds. You may check your transcript online too view your conferral date and degree awarded.
9. Q: What are the GPA requirements for receiving Honors?
- Latin Honors - Based on GPA following fall semester grades
- Cum Laude 3.4
- Magna Cum Laude 3.6
- Summa Cum Laude 3.8
- Departmental Honors - Contact your departmental chairperson.
10. Q: What if I don't complete my degree requirements by the August deadline (Usually the last business day in August)?
You must reapply by submitting another degree application to the Registrar's Office in order to reactivate the processing of your academic record and your diploma order.
11. Q: Where do I get information concerning cap and gown, invitations, pictures and senior activities?
Bookstore and Senior Class Council
12. Q: Whom do I contact regarding tickets to the commencement ceremony?
Commencement Tickets Information Page. if you have additional questions regarding tickets, please contact the office of the Secretary of the College at 404-270-5005.
13. Q: How do I receive my diploma after the commencement ceremony?
PICK UP: Diplomas will be available for pick up immediately after graduation at the commencement ceremony. Diplomas not picked up by May 18, will be mailed to address provided on application to graduate.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PERMANENT ADDRESS IS UPDATED WITH THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE!