Congratulations! You have reached the final rung on the academic ladder of success. As you prepare for graduation, there are several items that you must address in order to ensure clearance for receiving your diploma.
Please note the following information, and check your academic record to ensure that it is accurate and complete. This is your responsibility; the Registrar’s Office will assist in identifying the source of resolution for any challenges you may have.
Requirements for Graduation
To be awarded a degree from Spelman College, a student must:
- Be in good standing at the College
- Complete a minimum of 120 credit hours
- Complete the Core Curriculum, including the First-Year Orientation Program and Sophomore Assembly
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in each major and cognate course
- Earn a grade of "C" or higher in English Composition
- Fulfill all College and departmental assessment requirements
- Complete a minimum of one year of residency
- Earn a minimum of 32 credit hours at the College
- Complete the senior year at the College (Courses may be taken within the Atlanta University Center and the ARCHE institutions and/or other programs and schools approved by the Office of Undergraduate Studies)
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the College
Steps to Graduation
Step 1 - Apply for graduation
Step 2 - Make and complete appointment with Degree Auditor in Registrar’s Office
Step 3 - Make and complete an appointment with your academic adviser in major/minor department
Step 4 – Complete the Senior Survey and receive clearance from:
- Financial Aid
- Woodruff Library
Step 5 - Verify name on Preliminary List of Graduation Candidates and attend Commencement rehearsal to receive Commencement Tickets.
Special Note for Dual-Degree Program Student
A student in the Dual Degree Engineering Program must fulfill both the requirements at Spelman, and the institution from which she is earning her engineering degree.
She may be eligible to participate in Spelman's commencement and baccalaureate service, provided that she has:
- Met all Spelman's requirements for participation and has maintained good standing at both institutions (i.e. she has not violated the code of conduct expected of students at either institution)
- Submitted a final official transcript from the institution of her additional major
Graduation Clearance Information
To participate in Commencement Ceremonies, you must clear all your financial obligations to Spelman College. All seniors must:
- Obtain Financial Aid Clearance
- Obtain Library Clearance
- Obtain Perkins Loan Office Clearance
Each clearance must be satisfied by the deadline. If this is not done, the Registrar’s Office will place a “HOLD” on diploma and transcript, and you will not be able to participate in Commencement.
Your rehearsal for graduation will take place on the Thursday before graduation. Tickets for Commencement guests will be issued to “Cleared” students at the conclusion of rehearsal.
Please Note: To be a “Cleared” student, you must have settled all outstanding account balances and fulfilled all other obligation to the College.