Howard Hughes at Spelman
Interested in the Howard Hughes Biomedical Summer Science Program?
Spelman College has benefited from continuous HHMI funding since 1992 and the current award provides an additional four years of support (2008- 2012) for a variety of innovative science initiatives at Spelman, including programs that encourage pre-college and undergraduate students in science exploration and prepare them for successful scientific careers.
These programs have contributed to Spelman’s status as one of the nation’s top producers of minority student PhDs. We are very excited to be able to continue our tradition of training women of color for successful biomedical careers
This current award will support enhancement our departmental and interdisciplinary curriculum as well as instructional technology, an undergraduate research training program that will provide research opportunities for our students both on and off campus, and pre-college outreach that expands beyond the summer.
It also includes the production of a full length documentary, produced by Spelman student filmmakers under the supervision of Dr. Tarshia Stanley in the English Department, which will tell the stories of Spelman alumnae who are pursuing STEM professional careers.
Biomedical Summer Science Career Exploration Program
Curriculum, Equipment and Laboratory Development
New, Current and Future Faculty Development
Spelman Mentor Network
Undergraduate Academic Year Research Associates Program
Undergraduate Summer Visiting Research Fellowship Program
Howard Hughes Team
- Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, Principle Investigator and President of Spelman College
- Dr. Lisa Hibbard, Program Director
- Ms. Shanita Bishop, Program Coordinator
- Dr. Aditi Pai, Biology Department, Interdisciplinary Advisory Committee
- Dr. Kim Jackson, Chemistry Department, Interdisciplinary Advisory Committee
- Dr. Andrea Lawrence, Computer Science Department, Interdisciplinary Advisory Committee
- Dr. Tasha Inniss, Mathematics Department, Interdisciplinary Advisory Committee
- Dr. Marta Dark McNeese, Physics Department, Interdisciplinary Advisory Committee
For more information about the Spelman HHMI Program contact us via email at email@example.com or via telephone at 404-270-5855