Spring 2016 marked a new beginning. The Office of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Planning (OIRAP) piloted Online Course Evaluations. All courses taught by tenured, non-tenure-track, and part-time faculty were evaluated online. Courses taught by tenure-track faculty were the standard paper course evaluations.
Beginning Fall 2016, ALL course evaluations will be completed online! You will receive emails periodically highlighting training opportunities, benefits, features, and tips on improving response rates.
The following recommendations will make the process successful:
- Promote the online course.
- Give the students examples of how you will use the feedback to make improvements. For example: "Last semester’s evaluations indicated that I should make better use of the course website. This year, I have been posting notes online and started a blog for homework."
- Remind the students when the evaluation period has begun and when it closes.
- Advise the students that they will receive emails, which will direct them to complete the surveys.
- Emphasize the fact that their responses are completely anonymous, and that instructors will not have access to the results until after grades are released.
- Encourage your students to attend the Online Course Evaluation Launch Party in Lower Manley.
- Designate 15 minutes of class time to speak to the students about the evaluation process and give them time to complete the online evaluation in class (optional). Reassure students that the process is anonymous, and leave the classroom to ensure privacy.
- If your response rate was low in Spring 2016, be more proactive in encouraging your students and check your response rate to personally communicate to your students the importance of completing their online evaluations.
Please help us by encouraging your students to participate in our Online Evaluation Pilot. Student assessment of your classroom experience is essential to the continued development and maintenance of an excellent and relevant educational experience at Spelman College.