Religious Studies Major Requirements
A major in religious studies consists of 44 hours. Four core courses totaling 16 hours include: REL111 Introduction to Religion, PHI220 Introduction to Philosophy, REL380 Theory and Methods in Religious Studies, and REL480 Senior Project.
In addition to these core courses, each major must complete at least two courses in two different religious traditions – two historical introductions to two different traditions from Area II and two corresponding electives from either Area I, II, or III. Each major must complete at least one course in each of the three curricular areas. The remaining courses shall be electives.
• REL 111: Introduction to the Study of Religion (4)
• PHI 220: Introduction to Philosophy (4)
• REL 380: Theory and Methods in Religious Studies (4)
• REL 480: Senior Project (4)
• Area I: Sacred Texts: at least one courses in this area is required (4)
• Area II: History of Religions: at least two courses in this area are required (8)
• Area III: Religion and Culture: at least one course in this area is required (4)
• Corresponding Electives (4-8)
• Open Electives (4-8)