Download Requirements (PDF)
To receive the B.A. in Music, a student must successfully complete 48 credit hours of music courses with no grade below “C.”
Required Cognate and Core Courses
• MUS 000 Music Seminar (0)
• MUS 001 Piano Proficiency Test (0)
• MUS 113A Music Theory I (4)
• MUS 113B Music Theory II (4)
• MUS 113C Music Theory III (4)
• MUS 121 Introduction to World Musics (Cognate Course) (4)
• MUS 202 Music Technology for Majors (2)
• MUS 240 Survey of African American Music (4)
• MUS 313 Orchestration and Arranging (2)
• MUS 321 Form and Analysis I (2)
• MUS 350 History of Western Music I,(4)
• MUS 351 History of Western Music II (4)
• MUS 490A Senior Project (1)
• MUS 490B Senior Project (1)
Music majors are required to take eight (8) credit hours of elective courses in order to complete the degree in music. Students may choose any of the courses listed below to satisfy this requirement. Students are encouraged to take courses that apply to their area of interest.
• MUS 011-058 Secondary Applied Instrument (up to 4 credits)
• MUS 130 Women in Music (4)
• MUS 200 Introduction to Music Technology (2)
• MUS 210 Choral Conducting and Literature (2)
• MUS 310 Vocal Diction for Singers* (2)
• MUS 330 History of Jazz (4)
• MUS 451/452 Introduction to Composition (2)
* Required for all vocal performance majors
The music major must also complete the following:
• enrollment in applied music, an ensemble that serves as a laboratory supporting the primary applied music study, and Music Seminar each semester.
• an applied jury in her major medium evaluated by the faculty each semester, except when she is scheduled to give a Junior or Senior Recital.
• a piano proficiency examination before the end of the junior year.
• an exit project (senior recital, thesis, or composition) during the senior year prior to graduation.
Music Seminar is a zero-credit, pass/fail, weekly meeting of all music majors and minors for the purpose of student recitals (matinées), seminars, workshops, special lectures, guest recitals, and listening labs. Music majors must be enrolled in Music Seminar each semester for a total of eight (8) semesters. Music minors must be enrolled in Music Seminar for six (6) successive semesters. Music Seminar meets every Wednesday at 3:00 pm in the Fine Arts Building Room 107.
Applied Music (Private Lessons)
The study of voice or an instrument is an integral part of the musical education of every music student. Therefore, she must complete a minimum of six (6) semesters of private lessons on a single instrument. All Applied Music students will attend group performance classes as scheduled by the instructor in addition to the private lesson. Private lessons require a minimum of six (6) hours of practice and offer one (1) credit per semester. Two Applied Music courses may not be taken concurrently for credit nor may they be taken concurrently without permission of the Department Chair.
Private lessons are offered in the following instruments:
• MUS 011-018 Strings (Violin, Viola, Cello, Harp)
• MUS 021-028 Voice • MUS 031-038 Piano
• MUS 041-048 Organ
• MUS 051-058 Wind and Brass Instruments
• MUS 061-068 Percussion
All Bachelor of Arts candidates are required to give a Junior Recital, the duration of which will be approximately thirty (30) minutes.
Ensemble participation is open by audition to all students of the College, with or without credit. A full year commitment is expected.
Music majors and minors are required to register each semester for an ensemble that serves as a laboratory supporting the primary Applied Music study. Upper-level music students may elect an additional ensemble (for 1 credit or zero credit) only with the approval of the primary applied music teacher and the department chair. A maximum of eight (8) semester hours of ensemble credit may be used in meeting departmental graduation requirements for both the music major and the music minor.
The following performance ensembles are offered:
• MUS 060 String Ensemble
• MUS 070 Glee Club
• MUS 080 Woodwind Ensemble
• MUS 081 Jazz Ensemble
• MUS 392 AUC Orchestra
* Vocal majors and minors are required to participate in Glee Club for a maximum of eight (8) semesters hours. This participation does not preclude concurrent participation in the other Music Department Ensembles.