Japan studies offers a minor and promotes experiential learning through an exchange program with Tsuda College, summer school at Josai International University, internship opportunities in the Japanese business community, and participation in Japanese cultural events.
The Japan studies minor is designed to provide students with an understanding of Japanese history, culture and language, and a working knowledge of contemporary Japanese political, economic and social dynamics.
Upon successful completion of the Japan Studies Minor, the student will be able to
- demonstrate knowledge essential for understanding Japanese society and its civilization from an inter/multi-disciplinary approach;
- identify and critically evaluate concepts specific to Japanese society;
- identify and use diverse methods for research on Japanese society;
- identify and understand distinctive characters of Japanese society and its relationship to rest of the world;
- demonstrate a general knowledge of the Japanese language and competence in cross-cultural communication;
- demonstrate preparation for pursuing graduate study; and
- identify career options in Japan-related fields.
Dr. Tinaz Pavri
Director of Asian Studies Program
Box 366, Spelman College
350 Spelman Lane, SW
Atlanta, GA 30314