Assessment of Student Learning and Development
The program for the Assessment of Student Learning and Development is provided to assist students in reaching an optimal level of development. The program provides continuous feedback to the College community as students matriculate through the College, and as they prepare for graduate and professional school and entry into the world of work. It is designed to:
- Aid in the initial placement of students;
- Evaluate the progress of students through the selection of individual tests according to their needs.
- Facilitate the development of self-assessment; and
- Assist students in the areas of test preparation
The Office of Assessment provides opportunities for students to have their results on College assessments interpreted individually or in small groups. Appointments may be made with the Director. Selected test results are transmitted to first-year advisors, departmental advisors, and/or department chairs.
Seminars, study groups or individual conference sessions may be arranged to help in test preparation and test-taking skills. These sessions are designed to help students develop a positive approach to examinations, and to aid in alleviation of test anxiety. Additionally, test preparation materials such as books and computer software are available in the Assessment Office. The Office also maintains a library of information on all of the major examination programs and on basic skills in communication and mathematics.
- Administration of a variety of assessment instruments for the College Program.
- Individual administration of selected instruments by student request.
- Interpretation of instruments
- Test preparation/test-taking skills development in group/or individual sessions.
- Summary reports of assessment data from the College Program
- Compilation of data from selected instruments by majors and/or classification as relevant
- Trend analyses of selected instruments
- Assistance in designing instruments for evaluating program content, operations or services
- Assistance in analysis and interpretation of test and evaluation data
- Assistance in developing behavioral outcomes for programs, majors and/or individual courses upon request.
- Faculty or staff development workshops as feasible or by request.
Test preparation materials such as books, and computer software are available in the Assessment Office. Selected test results are transmitted to first-year advisors and departmental advisors. Seminars, study groups and individual conference sessions may be arranged through the Office of Assessment of Student Learning and Development for additional help in test preparation and test-taking skills.
Credit Through Other Examination Programs
In addition to credit through the examinations described above, students may receive credit from the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) Program or the National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI). Upon receipt of scores, they will be evaluated by the relevant department(s) for awarding credit.