How to Uphold the Rules of the Facility
- Read, understand and follow all rules, expectations and posted signs.
- Observe all the posted equipment instructions and warnings.
- If there is a piece of equipment you do not know how to use, do not assume you know how to use it. Ask for assistance.
When Using a Piece of Equipment Someone Else is Using
- Ask if you can “work in between their sets.” If they say, "no," please be patient and wait.
- Acceptable reasons for denying an individual's “may I work in?” request include the following:
- Two or more individuals are already using the equipment.
- The equipment is loaded with a large amount of weight and the user is almost done.
- When “working in” allow the other person to use the equipment after each set and re-set all equipment adjustments back to where they were before you started.
- If someone begins exercising on a piece of equipment while you are resting between sets, you should say, “I only have X number of sets left. You can "work in" with me if you would like.
- If you were "working in" between someone's sets, make the other person aware that someone is already sharing the equipment.
- If while waiting in line to use the equipment, you leave to get a drink or to use the restroom, tell the person behind you that you are coming right back so they are aware you are waiting.
- If someone sneaks ahead of you, you should say, “I just went to ____. I believe I was here before you.”
- You cannot claim a piece of equipment by setting a towel or water bottle on the equipment or next to it.
When Using Equipment While Others Are Waiting
- Allow others to work in between your sets.
- Do not rest on the equipment; it is better to walk around to accelerate your recovery.
- When using cardio equipment, please do not exceed the 45 minute time limit.
- Wipe down all equipment following each set with the provided pre-moistened wipes then discard the wipes appropriately.
When You Are Done Using a Piece of Equipment
- Wipe down the equipment with the pre-moistened wipes provided and discard the wipes appropriately.
- Take all of your extra personal equipment with you including water bottles, towels, weight belts, etc....
- Put all equipment away properly and securely. Place rack-free weights in their designated location; and return cable accessories, dumbbells, kettle bells, jump ropes and stretch cords to the appropriate rack and/or stand. Wipe down the stability and balance balls before returning them to the storage area.
When Using the Center, Avoid Excess Noise
- Keep in mind the Wellness Center is a public place.
- Avoid excess chatter while utilizing the exercise areas.
- Limit cell phone use that prevents you from exercising.
- Limit grunting and yelling during exercise. The use of profanity while exercising is not acceptable.
- Avoid dropping weights and banging weight stacks on the machines.
- Use cardio equipment properly.
- Do not bounce balls in the facility. The basketballs are for the basketball courts only.
- Remember loud or constant noises can annoy other facility users. Be considerate.
- Ask for a spot when working intensely on higher-risk exercises such as bench presses or squats.
- Limit the number of times you ask for a spot.
- Only use the amount of weight you can handle.
- Only do intense work outs occasionally.
- Exercise to performance failure on higher-risk exercises infrequently.
- Communicate with the spotter before you start your exercise routine.
- Ask the individual to spot you in a specific manner if that is important to you.
- Indicate the desired number of repetitions you would like to do.
- Do not expect a spotter to assist beyond one assisted repetition (max rep).
- Once you complete an assisted repetition, rack the weight.
Abstain From Telling Other Guests How To Use The Equipment
- You may discuss equipment use with others if it is your job or if someone’s life is in danger.
- If you see someone struggling to figure out how to use a machine, feel free to ask if they would like assistance. It is best to direct them to a Wellness Center employee or student worker.
Wear Proper Attire
- Wear workout clothes and athletic shoes in the exercise areas (jeans are not appropriate).
- Refrain from working out without a shirt (or in just a sports bra) and without athletic shoes.
Practice Good Hygiene
- Avoid offensive body odors. Bathe regularly and use deodorant.
- Wipe down equipment after you use it.
- Avoid spreading germs.
- Wash your hands after using the restroom.
- Wash your hands after sneezing or coughing into your hand.
- Wash your hands after you workout.
- Remember the Wellness Center is a smoke-free facility.
- Refrain from smoking near the Center entrance.
The Proper Way to Change Music or Television Stations
- The Wellness Center subscribes to Pandora.
- All Wellness Center users should be courteous and ask others if they will be inconvenienced or annoyed by a change request.
- You may bring your own personal music device and ear buds/headphones.
- If you choose to listen to your own music, make sure it is not too loud and at a respectable level.
The Proper Way to Use Water Fountains and Ice Machines
- Drink or fill your personal water bottles with minimum splash.
- Do not bring glass bottles in the exercise areas.
- If you need an ice bag, ask a Wellness staff member for assistance. Naturally, the bags are only to be filled with ice.
- Discard used ice bags properly.
- Avoid spitting or throwing chewing gum away in the water fountains.