Aquatics at Spelman
Wellness aquatics offers diverse programs that provide a safe and fun water experience for individuals of all abilities. Whether you're looking to swim laps, participate in water aerobics, improve your swim stroke, or do some water jogging, the pool is open year round to WET your appetite.
Our pool is 25 yards in length and four lanes wide. A swimmer’s mile is 33 laps in the pool. The shallow end of the pool is 3.5 feet deep with the deepest end at 7.3 feet. The temperature of the pool is 84-86 degrees.
The aquatics program includes academic courses, lap/recreational swims, special events, swim lessons and water aerobics. Certified American Red Cross lifeguards are on duty during peak hours. During off-peak hours, there are no lifeguards on duty.
Aquatics Classes Offered
Aqua Divas Water Aerobics (moderate to high intensity)
If you’re a diva who loves to dance like no one is watching, this class is for you! This moderate to high-energy aqua class is taught in the shallow end of the pool. Dance and move to the latest music with an engaging instructor who have you moving and grooving to the latest hip-hop and R&B hits. No swimming experience required.
Aqua Fitness Water Aerobics (low to moderate intensity)
This no frills aqua class takes simple exercises and incorporates them into the pool. Mix up you’re your workouts by taking it to the water this semester. No swimming experience required.
Group Fear No More (Spring 2017)
This is four-week class is for those who are afraid of water and for those who like the water but who start to panic/are uncomfortable when holding their breath and keeping their head under water. The instructor works with students, faculty and or staff in a small group to help them overcome their fears and begin to develop basic swim skills. Registration is required.
Group Swim 101 (Beginner Swim) (Spring 2017)
This is a five-week swimming class for students who have limited aquatic experience and would like to learn how to swim for fitness. The class will focus on learning the front and back crawl, breathing techniques, and safety swimming techniques. This class will provide coached sessions including stroke refinement, swim endurance and beginner swim workouts to get you confident and comfortable in the water. Registration is required.
Open to anyone for recreational or fitness swimming. At this time, you have the opportunity to play, water walk, exercise, dive or swim laps (Two lap lanes open).
A time set aside for lap swimming only. We encourage all swimmers, of any age to circle swim and work together during peak times.
Dedicated to those wanting to walk or do their own exercises in the lane pool.
Aquatic Rules and Regulations
Pool Guidelines for Your Health and Safety
- Obey the lifeguard at all times!
- For the safety and comfort of everyone using the facility, only one-piece swimsuits and /or swimsuits that cover the midriff, are permitted to be worn in the pool. Additionally, water shoes or flip flops must been worn while on the pool deck. Athletic shoes are strictly prohibited.
- No person is permitted to use the pool without first taking a warm-water shower with soap.
- No person with an obvious communicable disease, skin eruption, cut sore or lesion, eye, ear, nose or throat infection is permitted to use any public swimming pool.
- Spitting or spouting of water, blowing the nose, or any similar activity in the swimming pool is strictly prohibited.
- No running, boisterous noise or rough play, except during supervised water sports, is permitted in the pool or in the dressing rooms.
- Diving, flips or jumping backwards into the pool is NOT permitted.
- Hanging or swimming over the lane lines is prohibited.
- The consumption of gum, food or drinks, with the exception of water, is NOT permitted in pool area. Glass bottles are strictly forbidden.
- Water wings, life jackets and other swim aids are permitted.
- Non-swimmers are strongly encouraged to remain in the shallow end of the pool. Exceptions will be made for individuals enrolled in a scheduled instructional class.
- Pool toys may be permitted or restricted at the lifeguard's discretion.
- Please return all items used for fitness or leisure to the lifeguard.
- The Aquatics Center is subject to close at any time due to inclement weather and/or maintenance concerns.