The Wellness Center
Our Vision: Embracing Wellness for the Health of It
Our mission is to improve and enhance personal and community health by embracing wellness as defined by Insel and Roth, (2013 as “living rich, meaningful and energetic lives beyond the presence or absence of disease.” This is accomplished through health promotion, educational programming, and service to the Spelman community.
Wellness Center services are by appointment only.
Sign up for services today. To Schedule please call (404) 270-5249.
- State of the Art Wellness Center
- First rate Aquatic Center
- Mile markers around campus (Taking Steps to Wellness)
The goals of the Wellness Center are to:
- We provide comprehensive programming that is: Instructional, recreational, competitive, informative through events and embraces all interrelated concepts which form the dimensions of wellness. (See Dimensions of Wellness).
- We strive to develop citizen leaders through the development of KSAs (knowledge, skills and abilities. By teaching decision making and then empowering through leadership opportunities.
- We maximize campus outreach by expanding wellness on campus through collaborative programs, consistency in marketing, holistic customer service.
- We provide outstanding facilities, and equipment, well maintained resources, safe, secure environments and state of the art offerings.
- We are relevant in NIRSA (National Intramurals, Recreation and Sports Association) by remaining active and engaged. We serve as a model for small colleges and universities particularly single gender institutions and we remain current and relevant experts for our campus.
- We are committed to ongoing quality assessment and evaluation by establishing program objectives, learning outcomes, satisfaction objectives and participation statistics of all our wellness center users.
Dimensions of Wellness
Includes not just body’s overall condition and the absence of disease, but your fitness level and the ability to care for yourself. To achieve optimum physical, you need to make choices that will help avoid illnesses and injuries.
Trust, self-confidence, optimism, satisfying relationships, and self-esteem are some of the qualities of emotional wellness.
An active mind is essential to wellness because it detects problems, finds solutions, and directs behavior.
Satisfying and supportive relationships are important to physical and emotional wellness. Learning good communication skills, developing the capacity for intimacy, and cultivating a supportive network are important.
Requires the possession of a set of guiding beliefs, principles, or values that give meaning to the purpose of one’s life.
Defined by the livability of one’s surroundings as well as understanding the hazards in one’s environment in order to protect oneself.
Refers to the ability to live within your means and manage finances in a way that provides peace of mind. Includes balancing debt, saving for the future and understanding your emotions about money.
Refers to the level of happiness and fulfillment you gain from your work. Requires setting career goals that reflect your personal values.